STATEMENT OF THEOLOGICAL BELIEFS.
The One True God and the Unity of the Godhead
1. WE BELIEVE the one true God, infinite and all-powerful, loving and merciful, holy and just, eternally exists in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
2. WE BELIEVE the Trinitarian God exists in unity as a perichoresis of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, in intimate, interdependent, internal and eternal fellowship.
3. WE BELIEVE God is the source of all life. As Creator and Sustainer He has revealed Himself to humanity through creation, through the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments, and through Father, Son, and Holy Spirit in every believer.
The Divine Inspiration and Authority of the Holy Scriptures
4. WE BELIEVE all Scripture is uniquely inspired by God and is therefore wholly trustworthy and of supreme and final authority in faith and life.
God the Father
5. WE BELIEVE fatherhood is inherent to God’s nature. This is expressed as an eternal loving relationship within the Trinity and with humanity.
6. WE BELIEVE that just as God the Father, motivated by love sent Jesus Christ into the world to seek and save the lost, so does He send the church, empowered by Holy Spirit to continue His mission of proclaiming the rule and reign of His kingdom.
God the Son: The Lord Jesus Christ
7. WE BELIEVE Jesus Christ, God’s only Son and God incarnate, was conceived of the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary. As fully human and fully divine He lived a perfect and sinless human life.
8. WE BELIEVE Jesus Christ died on the cross for our sins as our representative and substitute. God raised Him from the dead through the power of Holy Spirit and He is exalted at the right hand of the Father, having received all authority in heaven and on earth.
9. WE BELIEVE Jesus Christ incarnate modelled the way the church is to live in relationship with God the Father as His children – in loving obedience to Him and in unity with one another.
Sin and Salvation
10. WE BELIEVE that through human disobedience to God, sin and death entered the world. All have sinned and are therefore guilty before God and under God’s righteous judgement. Sin separates people from God; it also brings brokenness to human relationships, disrupts the created order and distorts humanity’s relationship with creation.
11. WE BELIEVE salvation is a gift of grace initiated by God and brought about through the atoning death of Jesus Christ. It is available to all who repent of their sins and by faith receive Him as Saviour and Lord. Such ones are born again by Holy Spirit, thereby becoming children of God, delivered from the kingdom of darkness to live in the kingdom of God.
12. WE BELIEVE salvation restores humanity to what God has intended since the beginning of time. It restores relationship with God, which brings a believer under the reign of the Lord Jesus Christ in all areas of life.
13. WE BELIEVE salvation brings about new life and ongoing personal transformation for the believer who now has power to receive deliverance from satan and to overcome areas of sin, brokenness and temptation.
14. WE BELIEVE salvation brings the restoration of divine-human intimacy, the joy and love of interpersonal communion and the healing of all creation.
15. WE BELIEVE Jesus Christ will return in power and glory to consummate God’s Kingdom. He will gather His people, judge the world in righteousness, and renew creation. Those outside of Christ will be raised to eternal judgement; those who belong to Christ will be raised to enjoy eternal life in God’s presence.
God the Holy Spirit
16. WE BELIEVE Holy Spirit is the expression of the Trinity as creator and sustainer of all life. Holy Spirit continues to speak and strive with humanity.
17. WE BELIEVE Holy Spirit was sent by Jesus Christ on His ascension to Heaven from the Father to further keep, help, comfort, teach, empower and send believers.
18. WE BELIEVE in the Baptism of Holy Spirit and in the believer’s dependence on and responsibility to be continually filled in an ongoing process of renewal.
19. WE BELIEVE Holy Spirit is both the author and guarantor of healthy holistic Christian life and mission.
20. WE BELIEVE the work of Holy Spirit will be manifest in transformed lives. This is realized in signs (including the essential sign of love), miracles, and gifts of the Spirit demonstrating that we belong to Him and pointing to the reign God on earth.
21. WE BELIEVE human beings are made in the image of God. They are created to love, worship and enjoy fellowship with God and with each other.
22. WE BELIEVE humanity has been entrusted with a biblical holism, based on Jesus Christ’s Lordship over every part of life. This is expressed in right relationship with God, one another and the created order.
23. WE BELIEVE that believers have been entrusted with the call to be salt and light in all areas of society and to be faithful stewards, responsibly managing of all aspects of God’s creation.
The Nature of the Church
24. WE BELIEVE the nature of the Church is mission.
25. WE BELIEVE the Gospel of the Kingdom encompasses Gospel as a sign, Gospel as life and Gospel as word and deed.
26. WE BELIEVE God starts by loving, He proceeds by loving and concludes by loving. As He is, so are we supposed to be in the world, living out justice, love in service and action, reconciliation and peace. This is a sign of the Kingdom of God – God’s presence with us expressing wholeness of life.
27. WE BELIEVE faith will be seen through the action of love, which is self- sacrificing, generous and giving to the needs of others. Love gives confidence, boldness and hope before God. It sets us free from our limitations into incarnational reality. When we love in this way it is a sign of His Kingdom come and future glory.
28. WE BELIEVE proclamation is part of our mission’s practice. We are to proclaim the reign of God. By this, along with our actions and deeds motivated by love in the power of Holy Spirit, we participate in accomplishing God’s saving purposes.
Unity in the Church
29. WE BELIEVE community arises out of the very essence of God who is both internally and eternally relational. God is our model for unity among believers. Just as the one true God exists in relational interdependence, so too must members of His body live interdependently; across people groups, nations and cultures; partnering with one another as a community of believers fulfilling His mission on earth.
30. WE BELIEVE the missionary purpose of love and unity is revealed in the oneness of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. When we love one another, when we are one with each other, we are one with God. Through this, the world will know that the Father has sent Jesus into the world.
Theology of Mission
31. WE BELIEVE mission is an attribute of God, deriving from His very nature. Revealed in the beginning, in the creation narrative, He formed the world to sustain humanity, and humanity to bear His image and likeness.
32. WE BELIEVE missionary initiative comes from God alone. The Father sent His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ incarnate, into the world to bring the liberating Good News of His love; the Father and the Son sent Holy Spirit; and in the same way, the Father, Son and Spirit send the Church into the world to participate in His mission.
33. WE BELIEVE mission is Trinitarian by nature and practice, and so therefore, are we. Commissioned by the Father, we participate with Christ, empowered with Holy Spirit in God’s mission as He sends us into the world He loves.
34. WE BELIEVE the holistic mission of Jesus Christ is to establish God’s glorious Kingdom of right personal, religious, political and socio-economic relationships. It is ecumenical, evangelical and engages with the poor, the marginalized and those who are oppressed, not just on an individual level but in terms of communities, cultures, nations and continents.
35. WE BELIEVE Biblical foundations for missions are found throughout the Old and New Testaments of the Bible.
36. WE BELIEVE that both individually and collectively humans are image-bearers. This exacts from us the responsibility to love our neighbors as ourselves, and to express love to others through our engagement in the world. Image bearing is a missionary endeavour.
37. WE BELIEVE it is the responsibility of the body of Christ to acknowledge and enable the unique creative expression of the Kingdom of God in every culture and nation.
38. WE BELIEVE the end result of mission is the glorification of Father, Son and Holy Spirit.